What is Turnkey Pro?
Our Turnkey Pro online self-service offers full PCB fabrication and assembly as a bundle.
This cost-effective service allows you to get your standard technology PCBs fully assembled in as fast as 5 days.
Click here to Get A Turnkey Pro Quote.
What specs and capabilities does Turnkey Pro have?
You can see all specs and capabilities in the Capabilities tab.
Here is a brief list of the specs and capabilities to give you an idea of what we offer:
- IPC-6012 Class 2 PCB (No microsection certification or IPC coupons provided with online order)
- RoHS compliance available
- Material lead-free FR4 370HR
- HASL, ENIG (RoHS compliant)
- Thickness 0.062″, 0.031″ or 0.093″
- Minimum finished hole available 0.006″
- Minimum trace width offered 0.004″
- Minimum space offered 0.004″
- Controlled impedance available (+/-10% tolerance)
- Green, blue or black solder mask
- White legend
- Electrical testing
- Turnkey assembled to IPC-A-610-Class2 spec
What turn times are offered?
5 days, 7 days, 10 days and 15 days turn times are offered for your turnkey project.
What are some limitations to Turnkey Pro?
- Only 2 – 8 layer boards are available
- Boards can be ordered in any quantity from 2 through 100 assembled boards
- Board thickness can only be 0.062″, 0.031″ or 0.093″
- Individual boards must fit within a 10″ X 16″ box shape and must not exceed 150 sq inches in area
- Rectangular boards only, but certain slots, notches, and cutouts allowed (see capabilities for details)
- Rigid PCBs only
- Green, blue and black solder mask only
- White silkscreen only
- Only HASL, ENIG (RoHS compliant) finishes allowed
- Only FR4 lead free (370HR material) available
- Single lamination only
- No ITAR restricted designs allowed
- No arrays
- No gold fingers
- Minimum passive component size allowed is 0201
- Minimum pitch allowed for BGAs is 0.5 mm and for other components, it is 0.4 mm
- Maximum 20 through-hole components allowed per board
- Minimum component pad size allowed is 8 mils x 8 mils
These features/services are not allowed in Turnkey Pro:
Our Turnkey Pro online service provides standard assembly, and has the following limitations:
Wire-bonding, conformal coating, underfills, staking, POP assembly, wire assembly, or cable assembly are not allowed.
Rework like cutting traces, soldering wire jumpers, and cables onto the boards are not allowed.
Assembly of special items like PEM nuts, turrets terminals, rivets, and press-fit connectors are not allowed.
(To get any of these extra assembly features, please ask for a custom quote.)
What if my PCB design specs are too complex for Turnkey Pro standard specs?
If your PCB design does not conform to standard PCB specs for Turnkey Pro, please try our Web PCB online service- more materials, more finishes, more turn times, more options. For even more advanced technology or complexities like HDI, Mil-spec, flex boards, Metal-core, Aerospace or Medical, please request a Custom Quote.
What if I need to provide a special component?
Although Turnkey Pro is turnkey assembly, you can consign some components—say special components that Sierra cannot procure in time. These must be shipped to Sierra Circuits’ assembly, 306 Potrero Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94085. Please include your internet order number in the attention line.
- Company Name
- Order# (eg 12345-iRW)
- Contact Phone #
Does Turnkey Pro include silkscreen on both sides?
Yes, it does.
If my silkscreen designators get too crowded for the board (given that the minimum text size is 25X25X5 mils), where should I put the rest of designators for reference?
If the board gets too crowded for all your silkscreen designators, you can show the remaining component designators in the assembly drawing instead of in silkscreen.
Our assembly team will refer to assembly drawing as needed.
Can I order a solder mask color other than green for my Turnkey Pro board(s)?
Solder mask is available in the following colors: green, blue and black.
How do I order PCBs through Turnkey Pro?
1. Go to the “Products” tab
2. Select “Self Service”
3. Select “Start Quote” under Turnkey Pro
What files do I need to include for a Turnkey Pro order?
- BOM file. We will only use the BOM data from what is loaded online. See our sample BOM.
- XY Data and assembly drawing. See our sample XYRS file.
- Gerber files using English units in 274X format or ODB++ format. (Note: 274D format is not accepted.)
- All copper layers (inner & outer)
- Solder mask layers
- Silkscreen/legend layers
- Via plugging layers (if applicable)
- Solder paste layers (for assembly)
- Aperture list if apertures are not embedded in Gerber data
- Fabrication drawing in Gerber format
- Board outline, dimensions, including cutouts, chamfers, radii, bevels, scores, etc.
- Drill chart with hole symbols on drawing and finished sizes
- Material requirements
- Finished board thickness and tolerance
- Layer stack-up order
- Controlled impedance requirements (if applicable)
- Notes with other requirements and specifications
- Exellon drill file in ASCII format with the following parameters:
- Units = Inch
- Tool units = Inch
- Coordinate = Absolute
- Zeros omitted = Trailing
- Number format = 2.4
- Readme.txt . ASCII text file with the following critical information:
- All relevant details about the board, including thickness
- Listing of all file names and what they are (e.g. top copper, top solder mask, bottom solder mask, etc.)
- Layer stack-up sequence
- Other special instructions
- Engineering contact information
What is the cut-off for submitting my order?
The cut-off time to submit your order is 5:00 PM PST.
How should I represent a board outline?
We STRONGLY PREFER that board outline should be in the Gerbers– it could be on any of the Gerber layers or on its own separate layer.
If that is not possible, our second preference would be to have the outline in the fabrication drawing with dimensions clearly shown.
Can I reorder a board from a previous order?
Yes, we will use your previous Gerber and previously used online BOM when you re-order. No new files will be required or accepted for a re-order. Please note: Assembly labor and component price may be revised based on current component availability. You will see your previous online BOM and have a chance to edit if needed.
Why should the plane layers be supplied in negative format?
- Negative layers are a smaller file size than positive layer files.
- Negative layers are much quicker to work with when we run our engineering analysis.
- Positive layers cause longer test times in final tests.
Why shouldn’t polygons be in plane layers and signal layers?
Our high-end CAD software, Valor Genesis, will attempt to fill the polygons automatically but can miss some areas on the layers. This would result in missing data and possibly a non-functional board.
What’s the customer portal?
The customer portal is where you can see all of your web orders and account information, as well as place a new order. You will have the option of seeing and editing your profile, saved quotes, and requesting a change of billing or shipping information after an order has already been placed. You will also be able to add people to a notification list so that relevant people to a project will be notified (via email) of changes and events to a job. Also, if our engineers find any issues during DFM and DFA checks we will publish them to your project folder in the customer portal, and you can resolve issues right there.
What’s an Internet order number?
An internet order number is a number we assign to a job. It is formatted like this: 123456-iRW. It is specifically associated with a board that you have ordered from us.
What’s a Sierra Project (SPX)?
Your Sierra Project number (e.g., SPX12345) identifies the specific project folder associated with your Turnkey Pro order. The Project Folder is where you will be able to view and resolve issues we found in running DFM and DFA checks, see previous events, and change settings and request changes.
What’s an issue number?
These are issues that arise within each Sierra Project (SPX), such as if a job is missing information or payment information doesn’t go through. They are labeled like IST12345. Issues that are critical can be marked as being on-hold. You will be able to respond to the issue in your Project page under the Issues & Holds tab. There is the option to upload files if our engineers request updated information from you.
Can I track the shipping for my order?
Yes. After you have placed your order, you will be emailed an invoice with the tracking information, but it may not be live until we actually ship your order. You will be able to find the tracking information in your customer portal. Go to View Past Orders, then click either the order number or the Sierra project number. The shipping information is on both of these pages.
Can I change my billing and shipping information?
Yes. You can hit the “Change Request” button under the “Issues and Holds” tab on your Project Page. From there you will be able to change your billing and shipping information.
Where can I find the post-shipment documents?
With Turnkey Pro, you can access post-shipment documents in the Sierra Project. Once your order is shipped, you can find quality, accounting and shipping documents under Documents tab of the Sierra Project.
Is there a minimum order value for components?
When ordering components through Turnkey Pro, your components must add up to at least $100. In other words, there is a minimum charge of $100 for the components kit. For example, if your components kit is priced out to be $78 online, we will still charge the $100 minimum.
HOLDS AND CANCELLATIONS
What can cause my order to go on hold?
- Files are corrupt or missing from Gerber package.
- No board outline is provided, or not provided as a Gerber file.
- There are discrepancies between Gerber and fabrication print.
- The drill file is missing.
- The drill file is not in ASCII format.
- Files are missing holes.
- Plated and non-plated holes are not clearly defined.
- Non-plated holes are on copper areas, such as copper pads.
- There is no aperture list.
- Gerber data is not in 274x format.
- Gerber files are not 1:1 (true size).
- Thermal connections are missing on plane layers.
- Terms and conditions are violated. See our full terms and conditions here.
- XY Data is missing.
- Assembly drawing is missing.
- There is discrepancy in what you quoted versus what you actually uploaded. In general, if we find discrepancy in your files versus the online specs you agreed to, we will resolve in favor of the online specs.
For BOM info, please note that you will upload your BOM file online and possibly update it online in our interactive BOM screens. We will only use data from the online BOM version for assembly.
- You violate the terms and conditions of the Turnkey Pro Service. See the terms and conditions here.
Sierra Circuits engineers say my design is missing some information or has a discrepancy. What happens if my order goes on hold and how do I get my order off hold?
In your customer portal, your Sierra Project (SPX) has a “Notification List” of people you have listed to contact. When an order is placed on hold, these people will be contacted about the hold.
If your order goes on hold, the people listed in the “Notification List” in your customer portal will be contacted and informed of the hold. People in this list can check the customer portal order page and see what the problem is under the “Issues and Holds” tab in the customer interaction system. Answering our engineers’ questions about your board and supplying missing information can be posted in the system.
Another option is to contact your account manager directly by phone, email, or online chat.
How does the on-hold time affect the due date of my order?
The schedule is extended depending on how long your job is on-hold. Sometimes being on-hold for too long may cause internal manufacturing deadlines to be missed and may lead to a full extra day delay. The quicker we can get an answer from you on the on-hold issue, the quicker you get your job. We will do our best to make up for lost time.
What is the cancellation policy for the PCB orders?
Cancellation charges apply depending on how far along the order has progressed. We will do our best to minimize cost to the customers.
How do I calculate turn time? What is the cut off time to place an order?
Order must be placed by 5 PM Pacific Time Monday-Friday. When we get your order we first validate your data for any issues/discrepancies. If this activity can be completed by 11 PM, we can still consider that day as Day 0.
We consider Day 0 as the day we have validated your files, resolved all open issues in your data, and accepted your order. The next day is counted as Day 1. Weekends and business holidays are not counted. If you are sending us any components (consigned), we will consider the day we receive all your components as Day 0.
Based on the turn time you chose for PCB fabrication and for assembly, we provide you a projected ship date and due date as soon as the order is placed. Our projected date includes the buffer we need for validation and sending our PCBs to our assembly plant. The ship date may change if there are any on-holds which are not resolved quickly or if there are delays from your side.
Is Will-Call pickup available for the Turnkey Pro PCBs?
Yes, we do allow will-calls for PCBs. Here is what you need to know:
- A service charge of $15 applies to every will-call order.
- On the day that your boards are due, we will give you a confirmation call by 4 PM.
- Boards can be picked up from our lobby at
306 Potrero Ave,
Sunnyvale, CA 94085
- Your order can be picked up only between 5 to 6 pm PST.
- Please have a printed sales order confirmation ready and a valid ID.
- Once you are in the lobby, someone will help you, or you may call your Web Product Specialist.
- In the rare case that a will-call order is not ready on due date, the will-call service charges will be canceled.
What are the terms & conditions?
See our full terms and conditions here: https://www.protoexpress.com/terms/
How can I establish credit?
Note that Turnkey Pro orders are through credit card (Amex/Visa/MC,Discover) only.
No need to establish credit for Turnkey Pro.
To establish credit with Sierra Circuits for other custom orders, please download our Credit Application.
How are taxes calculated? What if my boards are for re-sale?
No Sales Tax is charged for orders shipped outside of California.
The following applies only to orders shipping to a California address: To exempt a Turnkey Pro order from California Sales Tax, you must mark the order as “Non Taxable” and mention your resale number. Upload your Resale Certificate online or email it to email@example.com.
Can I use my own Shipping account?
Yes, we accept your FedEx or UPS account number. There will be an option when you place an order and in your customer portal to input the shipping information.