Sierra Circuits manufactures and assembles high-performance automotive PCBs that make vehicles efficient and smart. Our PCB experts and engineers guide you from the design stage to the manufacturing and assembly processes while delivering all the traceability and tolerance documents you need. We offer automotive printed circuit boards for all the latest technologies, including LiDAR, 5G connected cars, and collision avoidance systems.
Sierra Circuits builds automotive PCBs used to:
- Monitor and regulate the operation of a vehicle
- Improve the safety of a vehicle
- Enhance fuel efficiency
- Reduce excessive power consumption
- Offer state-of-the-art infotainment
Beat competitors to the market. Reduce re-spins with our zero-defect guarantee.
With Turnkey PRO, Sierra Circuits delivers full turnkey automotive PCB assemblies guaranteed to work.
We are experts in building LiDAR boards for collision avoidance systems
We build PCBs for LiDAR sensors that can measure the distance of the vehicle to various objects, and create 3D images of the detected objects. Those boards must be highly reliable. That’s why we offer design reviews and high-level manufacturing testing methods to ensure you receive a high-performance board.
We teamed up with a world leader in 3D sensing to help them develop their AI-driven LiDAR platform. We provided them high-speed multilayer boards that had to meet stringent requirements, such as resist vibrations and withstand thermal cycling without a decrease in performance. We also resolved their wire bondable gold issues that other PCB manufacturers were not able to address. Read our case study.
Other applications we serve
We manufacture printed circuit boards for every area of a vehicle. We frequently partner with innovators developing:
- Autonomous cars and trucks
- Automatic guided vehicles (AGV)
- Collision avoidance system/pre-crash system
- Connected car systems
- Utilities for better vehicle performance
The testing standards we follow for automotive PCBs
Automotive printed circuit boards should be manufactured and tested as per certain guidelines and standards. Some of the important standards are:
- IPC-6012DA: Ensures the reliability of circuit boards used in electronic interconnects that are exposed to high vibration and heat.
- AEC-Q100: Includes failure test qualifications for ICs.
- AEC-Q101: Identifies failure test qualifications for discrete semiconductors.
- AEC-Q102: Includes failure test qualifications for discrete optoelectronic semiconductors.
- AEC-Q104: Defines failure test qualifications for discrete optoelectronic semiconductors.
- AEC-Q200: Defines failure test qualifications for passive components.
- IPC-6011: Illustrates the performance standards and specifications for PCBs.
The following are some of the important tests that can be carried out on automotive boards:
- Thermal shock test: This test is done with the circuit board moving between two chambers, one with extremely hot and the other with extremely cold temperatures.
- Thermal cycling test: During this test, the board is kept in a chamber and the temperature is varied from one extreme to the other.
Both thermal shock and thermal cycling tests help get an idea about the expansion and contraction of the PCB. Also, these tests can detect the points on the board that are prone to mechanical stress.
- Temperature humidity test: This test is done to check if the board survives in a changing humid environment. The PCB will be subjected to various humidity levels during its packing, shipping, or operational environments. Hence, this test verifies its performance.
How we meet your high-reliability requirements with full traceability
Under IPC-6012 class 2 and class 3, we build standard, advanced, and micro boards with high accuracy. Our advanced boards come with UL 94 V-0 flammability standards. We provide the following documentation and certificates:
- Certificate of conformance
- Material specifications
- First article inspection report
- Reflow profile copy (included with the first article)
- Photo requirements
- IPC J-STD-001E
- Record of all the calibrated tools used during manufacturing
- AOI report or visual inspection report
- Flying probe or in-circuit testing report
- Ionic cleanliness test report
We specialize in DFM and DFA analysis that prevent issues and offer internal quality review systems that guarantee zero-defect boards. We also provide engineering support to verify if your design is set to perform as expected and IPC class 3 compliant, should you go for this standard.
Extensive electrical testing for automotive PCBs
We do not bargain on quality and follow the stringent fabrication criteria that automotive boards require – this means constant testing at each step of the manufacturing process, such as cross-section, AOI, BGA X-ray, flying probe, and other electrical tests.
Fab and assembly under one roof
The miscommunications between separate fabrication and assembly shops will cause delays in deliveries and errors in your board. A PCB manufacturer that does not handle assembly won’t run DFA checks to ensure your board can properly be assembled. One single vendor is accountable.
How to get a quote for automotive PCBs
Let us run DFM/DFA analysis for you and get back to you with a report. You can upload your files securely through our website.
We require the following information in order to give you a quote:
- Gerber, ODB++ or IPC-2581
- BOM if you require assembly
- Turn time