Design for Manufacturing Handbook
DFM is knowing the best design for your electronics in terms of both cost and complexity.
To ensure cost-efficient manufacturing, top PCB designers address these areas before sending files to their manufacturer:
- Annular rings: avoid drill breakouts
- Vias: optimize your design
- Trace width and space: follow the best practices
- Solder mask and silkscreen: get the must-knows
Make sure your design will be manufacturable the first time.
Why address DFM?
PCB designers, engineers and manufacturers use design for manufacturing (DFM) guidelines to ensure the manufacturability of the designs.
Imagine finding errors in the fabrication and assembly process in the final stage. That would be a nightmare! DFM checks are all about finding errors that could have been easily prevented before going to fab.
Also inside this DFM Handbook:
- Manufacturing and cost considerations
- Board complexity vs price
- Gotchas in annual ring and hole registration