PCB Trace Termination Techniques to Ensure Signal Integrity
Field Application Engineer
EMA Design Automation
Chief Revenue Officer
PCB trace termination techniques
As signal frequencies and speeds increase the potential for unwanted noise, distortion, and reflections are becoming commonplace. Fortunately, there are well defined methodologies to help mitigate these issues in your designs. In the case of reflections implementing a trace termination strategy will help you avoid this unwanted noise that can cause issues for consistent and steady data transfer.
Watch the experts at EMA Design Automation and Sierra Circuits as they go through PCB trace termination strategies, their pros and cons, and how you can leverage your CAD tools to help you implement the perfect termination routing scheme for your designs.
What you will learn:
- Role of termination routing in reducing signal reflection, ringing, and overshoot.
- How to place termination resistors using termination techniques: series, parallel, Thevenin’s, AC, transformer, and bidirectional terminations.
- Difference between single-ended and differential terminations.
- How termination resistors contribute to propagation delay and steps to optimize tpd.
- Case study: Termination routing in multiple DDRs connected to an FPGA.
- How your CAD tools can help you automate and manage your signal termination strategies.
About the speakers
Field Application Engineer, EMA Design Automation
Ernie began his career in electronic design and instrumentation, specializing in emulators and logic analyzers. Since then, he has leveraged his knowledge of hardware instrumentation to become experienced in the software tools used for electronic design. He has worked with various PCB layout, schematic capture, analog simulation, and signal integrity analysis tools, and is especially interested in the integration of these tools into a design environment. He is currently specializing in RF and Digital simulation, doing presentations, and working one-on-one with customers using the EDA tools from Cadence and EMA Design Automation.
He graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a Bachelor’s and Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. His hobbies include chasing Total Solar Eclipses to interesting parts of the world.
Chief Revenue Officer, Sierra Circuits
Amit has been in the PCB industry for 20+ years. He is the Chief Revenue Officer at Sierra Circuits. His passion is to empower tech companies to achieve their visions and change the world. Rockets going into space, self-driving cars taking up the streets, cancer-fighting medical devices, protecting the country, he’s ready to build any circuit board!