MINIATURE ELECTRONICS – HDI IS THE SOLUTION
Today’s world is cushioned with various technologies, some are a blessing and some curse!! HIGH-DENSITY INTERCONNECT (HDI) technology is a blessing that makes complex things simple, compact and efficient.
The high-density interconnected PCB market scope is huge in the overall PCB market. According to the PCB forecast report HDI PCB market size is significant due their prevalence in electronic devices of all kinds as the technology provides an opportunity to place small components in the vicinity on the PCB leading to smaller paths amongst components, along with producing feathery lightweight boards.
Definition of HDI PCB in layman’s terms would be ‘boards that pack a lot of connections into closer proximity and are minute enough to fit in small devices providing enhanced performance’. High Density Interconnect PCB market trends is being consumed across an array of applications, such as Aerospace, Military, Consumer Electronics, and Medical Equipment.
What segments are existing in the high density interconnect PCB market?
When segmented by end-users, the High Density Interconnect PCB Industry is segmented into the following:
1. Medical Equipment: It is used in various diagnostic devices, and monitoring equipment such as imaging systems, CT scans, MRI scans, and hearing aid machines. HDI PCB makes these devices more reliable and efficient with added technical features
2. Consumer Electronics: HDI technology is utilized in various consumer electronic products from kitchen appliances such as microwave, hand blenders to high tech entertainment systems such as home theatre, and pro cameras
3. IT & Telecom: Internet has humongous use in today’s life and upcoming technologies like 5G, along with growing satellites in various applications are all dependent on HDI technology to provide better reliability and performance
4. Aerospace & Military: Aerospace demands minute, lightweight and efficient electronics making HDI an apt solution for the industry. HDI also finds application across various communications and strategic devices in the military industry
5. Automotive: From engine controls to lighting systems to Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS), HDI is being significantly utilized in the automotive sector
What is the CAGR potential of the high density interconnect PCB market?
The global HDI PCB market analysis indicates the the market will grow exponentially from $8.69 billion in 2018 to $20.21 billion in 2025 at a CAGR of 13.5%. The market has major potential across niche & upcoming technologies such as 5G, self-driven cars, smart wearables, & robotics surgery.
Electronics are an integral part of everyday life. From smart electronics which allow us to switch on our ACs at home, even before we reach to switching on the smart geysers have made life easy. All of this is possible by coming together of various technologies, HDI being one of them! This electronics segment is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 12.2% in the coming years.
Automotive is a growing industry and upcoming technology with updated features for safety, comfortability and entertainment are making way for these PCBs in the automotive domain. Some features such as communication devices, camera assistance, security control systems, wireless location appliances, various sensors are utilizing HDI PCB as it provides reliable, secure and high-quality solutions for automation. The automotive industry in the US is expected to capture around 15.8% of the US HDI PCB market.
In conclusion, it is fair to say that an HDI board has a few drawbacks such as higher cost, and complex design & manufacturing but its general characteristics such as small-sized, featherweight and better performance outweigh the drawbacks and fuels the demand for these boards.